Howard Theatre Brochure Subsidy
The most contentious issue at Thursday’s meeting of ANC1B was the proposal to grant $4,000 to subsidize the groundbreaking celebration of the Howard Theater on August 22 and the proposal to spend $1,000 to purchase an advertisement in the celebration’s commemorative brochure. Commissioners Brianne Nadeau (1B05 – Meridian Hill) and Sedrick Muhammad (1B03 – Cardozo) were particularly opposed. Ms. Nadeau was displeased with the idea of a general subsidy for the event without knowing exactly for what items and services the money would be spent. Mr. Muhammad didn’t think a one-time event warranted so much public money.
The ANC narrowly approved the $5,000 grant 4 to 3 (vote tally below) and then took up a grant application for the Banneker City Little League, which sought $3,000 to subsidize a little league for neighborhood children. The commission approved the grant request without much ado.
As for $5,000 grant for the groundbreaking ceremony and the brochures, the votes were as follows:
- Ms. Myla Moss (1B01 – LeDroit Park)
- Mr. Peter Raia (1B02 – U Street)
- Mr. Eddie Ferrer (1B10 – North of Howard)
- Ms. E. Gail Anderson Holness (1B11 – Southern Howard University & Southern Pleasant Plains)
- Mr. Sedrick Muhammad (1B03 – Cardozo)
- Ms. Brianne Nadeau (1B05 – Meridian Hill)
- Ms. Rosemary Akinmboni (1B08 – Southern Columbia Heights)