Flashback 1958: U & Ninth Streets
The “Washington globe” streetlights, still manufactured today haven’t changed much from their 1958 predecessors, but the street signs have changed in style from a black-on-white serifed typeface to a white-on-green sans-serif typeface.
The DC Housing Finance Agency has replaced the building hosting Uptown Billiards. The building at the opposite corner, soon to be the Brixton Pub, appears to have been occupied in 1958. The emergency call box has been reoriented and fixed up somewhat and the traffic lights now extend over the roadway slightly. The crosswalks in 1958 were barely marked on the pavement.