Google Streetview goes inside shops on U Street
Back in 2009 we noted that Google had updated all its streetview photos of LeDroit Park. What we didn’t notice is that Google for some time now has been adding panoramic photos of the interiors of local businesses.
Drag the little streetview man to U Street, for instance, and you’ll notice two types of blue dots. The darker blue dots are user-contributed photos. The lighter dots, however, give you tours inside the buildings.
Google has covered a good deal of U Street and 14th Street. The closest venue to LeDroit Park is Wazobia at T and Wiltberger Streets. You can even “walk around” these establishment and pan and zoom the images.
Here are a few notable places near LeDroit Park and along U Street:
- Wanda’s Hair Salon – 1851 7th Street (Wanda’s has moved)
- Greg’s Barber Shop – 1909 7th Street – (old-timey cash register to boot!)
- Nellie’s – 900 U Street – (blown-up print of Nellie Storrs Newman behind the bar)
- Dickson Wine Bar – 903 U Street
- Zula Ethiopian Restaurant – 1933 9th Street
- Lounge of Three – 1013 U Street NW – (Sign reads, “Music we play may cause severe neck injury.”)
- 9:30 Club – 815 V Street NW
- Ben’s Chilli Bown – 1213 U Street NW – (Sign famously notes that only the Obamas and Bill Cosby eat for free)